Business Operations processes travel estimation forms for specific departments. If there is a question regarding if Business Ops processes travel estimation forms for your department please contact Business Ops at 852-7549 or email@example.com.
The Travel Estimation Form is a user-friendly trip estimate tool/expense tracker. Once the Travel Estimation Form is submitted, Business Operations will enter the trip information into PeopleSoft as a Travel Authorization. From there the Travel Authorization will route per departmental authorizations.
The Travel Estimation/Expense Form is available by logging in to the Business Operations portal, selecting Finance, Travel Estimation/Expense Form.
Below is a quick step by step guide:
Travel requests for all students (employee ID number begins with an S) should not be put in the Smart Form. E-mail student travel requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Login to the Smart Form in the Business Operations Portal found by clicking here or by going to https://businessops.louisville.edu. The Smart Form generally works the best in Google Chrome.
- Click the Login button at the top right of the screen.
- When prompted type in your University user ID and password click Login.
- Click on Finance>Travel Estimation/Expense Form.
- To begin a new request click on the New Request button.
- Select if travel is being requested for yourself or another traveler.
- If you are entering travel on behalf of someone else you will need their employee ID number.
- Once that is entered the information from the traveler’s travel profile will populate in the provided boxes.
- If no information is returned fill it in manually and then indicate that the traveler needs a travel profile in the Comment box. Business Operations will work with the department in order to setup a travel profile for the traveler.
- If any information populates incorrectly indicate the areas that need revision in the Comment box (see 2e). Business Operations will work with the department in order to correct the traveler’s profile.
- The blue links found throughout the Smart Form will take you to the current travel policy.
- Navigation can be done by clicking on the tabs along the top or using the Next button on the bottom of each page.
- The form can be saved once the traveler’s ID number has been entered by clicking Save at the bottom of the page.
- The form can be canceled by clicking the Cancel button at the bottom of the page.
- Use the calendar for selecting travel dates. Once the begin and end date have been selected click Accept.
- If there are any personal travel dates answer Yes and supply the dates and any expenses that should not be reimbursed.
- Enter if the travel is for a student or an employee. If you have an employee traveling in a student capacity indicate that in the Traveler Status and Traveler Type area.
- Destination (free-form box can enter multiple) and the description of trip (should include the business purpose).
- Destination type (Domestic or International) and Duration of the trip (One day or Overnight).
- An attachment area is available for conference agendas or any other documentation the traveler wishes to submit. Receipts can also be attached here for after the fact travel. Click Choose Files to open up a browser to select files from your computer.
- Enter information for the payment on each expense:
- Indicate if the expense is prepaid or to be reimbursed.
- If the expense is prepaid indicate how it was paid Methods of payment options: Central billing card (airfare and rental car through Concur), University Procard for conference registration, Hotel Wex Virtual Card, Travel Card, Purchase Order (four or more travelers) and Other (specify payment method).
- The default speedtype is pulled from the traveler’s travel profile. This can be changed manually, per item, on the Smart Form and if the funding needs to be split between two speedtypes indicate that in the Comment box at the bottom of the page.
Indicate if an outside third party (non-sponsored program) is covering any travel related expenses. If the travel will be charged to a Federally Sponsored Program additional documentation and information will be required. Indicate if there is a max travel allowance and/or a cash advance.
Select the method of transportation(s) used for the trip. If Private Car is selected the mileage will need to be input and the mileage amount will be auto-calculated in the form based on the current federal mileage rate.
Hotel name should be provided and if conference is checked on the Destination and Purpose tab then questions will be asked about the hotel being the preferred conference hotel.
8. Miscellaneous Charges:
Meals (for pre-travel we recommend an estimation of $75/day) ground transportation, baggage, parking, tips, tolls, international travel insurance and other.
- Upon completion of the Travel Estimation/Expense Form review the information entered on the Summary tab.
- Once all information has been reviewed by the traveler or proxy click the Submit Request button.
- The Smart Form will keep a history of all forms that you have entered.
- If a new trip is similar to one previously taken click Clone and update the form with the new dates and information.
- You can view prior trips by clicking Details next to the trip that you want to review.
- Use a photo or a scanned image of the receipt(s) and submit using any of the below methods:
- Receipt form available here. Required fields: the e-mail address of the person submitting the receipts, description of expense and the traveler’s user ID. Submitter will receive a confirmation e-mail back with a copy of the receipt that was successfully submitted to Business Operations.
- E-mail to Business Operations at email@example.com include the traveler’s name and dates of the trip in the subject line.
- Travel Smart Form when used for post travel (see 4c above).
- Paper receipts
- Paper receipts can be gathered and sent to Business Operations at the Belknap or HSC locations. Location information can be found here.
For more information please see the attached Power Point training guide.
For any questions please contact Business Operations by phone at 852-7549 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.