The correct end date of an award is dependent upon whether the sponsor allows automatic carry forward of unobligated funds at the end of the budget period.
To determine whether automatic carry forward is allowable, review the Y/N indicator in section A2 of the Award Checklist Form.
Automatic Carry-forward: unobligated funds at the end of each budget period will remain on the speedtype without sponsor’s approval. Funds for each new budget period will be added to the existing speedtype. Example: NIH R01 awards.
- Single speedtype is established for the totality of the award.
- Payroll funding PAR’s will allow the use of the speedtype until end of Period of Performance.
- BA Speedtype Information and paydocs are entered to reflect the individual budget periods (typically a one-year duration).
Non-Automatic Carryover: funds remaining at the end of each budget period will remain on the speedtype only upon sponsor’s written approval. A separate speedtype is established for each budget period. Example: COBRE awards.
- Separate speedtypes are established for each budget period of the award.
- Payroll funding PAR’s are entered on separate speedtypes. A $1 budget will be established for paylines to be entered on the next anticipated budget period.
- BA Speedtype Information and paydocs are entered to reflect the individual budget periods.
No Cost Extensions: When a sponsor approves an extension of a budget period expiration date, the new end date of the speedtype will be extended in Peoplesoft.
- Enter a Funding PAR to extend the end date on payroll funding, if requested.
- BA: Extend the end date on the Speedtype Information and update paydocs if necessary/requested.
Award Checklist Form
Section A1: Indicates the Period of Performance; Period number and Budget Period dates.
- Period of Performance (POP), otherwise known as the Project Period, means the time interval between the start of an award and the planned end date of the award. This is the totality of the award.
- Budget Period (BP) “typically” means a time frame of one year (+/-) in duration.
Section A2: Indicates the carryover status of award via Yes/No indicator for Automatic carry-forward
Section A4: Indicates the establishment of future $1 paylines via Yes/No indicator for Future Period Chartfield Requested.
Please sign in to leave a comment.