Hiring Process Overview
- Funding - Is your funding source established? A new position requires a funding source for the full fiscal year. You will first need to work with your department business manager* to make sure this is either in place or you have an award guarantee established.
- Special Considerations for Sponsored Programs: Information on how to set up funding once your proposal has been awarded can be found here.
- Admin Approval - Do you have administrative approval for the position? Your department business manager can advise you on what approval process is needed for your area and guide the process.
- Special Note: HSC is required to submit the Authorization to Hire form. You should work with the department business manager to have this form completed.
- HR Approval - Complete a job description form and have your department business manager submit to HR for review and approval of the job. HR website with hire employee resources.
- Position Advertised - Once a job description has been approved and a position number established, your business manager can advertise the position. It is helpful to have an ad prepared for your business manager. Positions must be posted a min of 11 days.
- Recruitment Process – Make sure to keep notes of who you interviewed, when, and what type of interview was conducted. You will need to provide responses for each candidate as you close the recruitment and select your preferred candidate. Your department business manager should provide you information on what they will need from you to close the search.
- Hire and Onboarding – Once a candidate has been selected, approved and accepted the position, they will need to complete the onboarding steps. A criminal back ground check, I-9 completion within 3 days of their start date, personal data submission and Orientation are all required components of onboarding.
*Department Business Manager – If you are unsure who your department business manager is, you can contact your Lead Fiscal Officer or supervisor for guidance.
Note: The timeline or duration of the hiring process has many variables dependent on approvals and action steps throughout the process.